Tuesday, May 24, 2011

New Directions

Well, the Lord is leading us in a bigger direction regarding our home schooling.  This past year I've had four children to educate and one of those graduating.  Who knew so many senior activities would impact the rest of our school work? It's over and now we are working to provide many of the same wonderful opportunities we gave to our graduate, Anna, while she was home educated.

We've been involved at Cornerstone Cooperative for several years and what a joy it's been to me and the kids.  It's funny.  I think it's been four years, but I honestly can't remember when we started.  A few of my friends and I joined together to do science, spanish and a little history originally.  I chose to name the group Cornerstone because we always want Christ to be our Cornerstone in every area of our lives.

Anyway, earlier this year, I checked out the Excelsior Cooperative for my son, David.  He's an easy learner and since I felt I wasn't challenging him enough I explored the idea of a cooperative with greater challenges.  The sixth grade class was full so then I start thinking, hmm?  What if we provide the accelerated demands for gifted students at our cooperative? Well, I had already been leaning toward having more class offerings at our cooperative, but I didn't have any idea how many other families in our cooperative were thinking the same thing.  Several of the teachers I really wanted joined our ranks and now with over 24 families and a host of class offerings our cooperative is growing.

Each teacher is developing a formal syllabus for each class to help us to establish strong expectations and commitment from students and their families.  All are laying out their lesson plans for the fall so we can provide homework early and, hopefully, encourage families to be intimately involved in their children's education.  It's exciting, but always overwhelming.

Father, please let everything we plan, let every thought and word we speak to our family, our children and all others, be acceptable in Your sight, O God, our Redeemer.

No comments: